It’s been almost a year since Google launched Allo and Duo as its primary chatting and video calling applications. While Duo has been an instant hit, the same cannot be said about Allo. There are a couple of reasons why Allo could not match its launch expectations. Firstly, the instant messaging app market is already crowded with great apps like WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger. And although Allo brings a ton of cool new features (like incognito chat, self-destructive messages, awesome stickers, and more), it also lacks some basic functionalities, which has held the app back. For instance, until recently, there was no desktop client for Allo. Technically, there isn’t one even now, but Google has just launched a web version of the app (just like WhatsApp did in the past), which allows you to use it on PC and Mac.
Although it’s not the same as having native desktop apps, still, it is better than having nothing at all. In this article, we will show you how to use the web version of the app, and while we are at it, we will also give you some tips on how to convert the web version into a standalone web app for your desktop. So, if you are an Allo user or someone who didn’t consider it just because it lacked a desktop version of the app, read the article to find out how to use the Allo app on PC and Mac:
Things to Know Before Using Allo on the Web
Allo has just been released as a web app and you might think that you only need a web browser to access it, but you would be wrong. Right now, even the web app comes with certain restrictions. Currently, the web version of the Allo app can only be accessed if you own an Android phone. However, support for iPhones is coming soon. Also, the web app is only supported on the Chrome browser.
Use Allo on Chrome
Since the methodology for using Allo on Chrome will be the same, irrespective of the OS you are using, there’s no point in showing it twice. So, it doesn’t matter whether you are a Mac or a Windows user. This is how you do it.
1. Open the Chrome browser on your desktop and visit the Allo web app page.
2. Launch the Allo app on your Android smartphone and tap on the hamburger menu. Here, tap on the “Allo for web” option.
3. Now, scan the QR code on the browser tab by tapping the “SCAN QR CODE” button on your phone and pointing the camera to the browser.
4. As soon as you scan the code, you will be logged into your account and able to use the Allo app on your desktop.
Create Allo Web App for Windows
As I mentioned in the introduction, apart from showing how to use the web version of the Allo app, I will also help you create a desktop app that will work as a standalone app. I should point out that it won’t be a native app and will use the Chrome browser as its base. But it will run in its window and also sport the Allo’s app icon. It is pretty cool that we can do that, as it allows us to use the Allo app without having to open our Chrome browser just for its sake.
1. Chrome natively allows you to create a windowed app version of any website on the Windows OS. To do that for Allo, complete the first part of the tutorial and log in to your Allo account.
2. Now, on Chrome (while on the Allo tab), click on the 3-dot menu on the top-right corner of the browser and go to More tools -> Add to Desktop and click on it.
3. Now, you will see a popup card where you can rename the app. Before you hit the Add button, remember to ensure that the “Open as Window” option is checked on.
4. As soon as you click the Add button, you will find the Allo app icon on your desktop. You can double-click to open the app, as you would with any other app.
5. to be sure that it works, here is a picture of the app working on a different window. You can see an icon for the Allo app beside the Chrome icon.
6. You can also right-click the icon to add it to either the Start menu or the Taskbar for quick access.
Create Allo Web App For Mac
Due to its restrictions, Chrome doesn’t allow you to do the same on macOS; hence, we will have to use a third-party app. Thankfully, I know just the app for that, so let’s get started, shall we?
1. Download and install the “Coherence 5” app (free to create 4 web apps) by clicking on the link. Now launch the app. This is how the app looks after it is launched.
2. Now, fill up the required fields. The name section is where the app’s name goes, and the URL section will host the website URL of the web version of the Allo. For your convenience, I have linked Allo’s website URL here. Just copy and paste it into the required field.
3. Now, before you hit the Next button, click on the “Get favicon” button to get the logo for the Allo app. Conversely, you can even upload your logo (by clicking on the browse button and selecting the logo file) if you want to.
4. Now, keep clicking on the Next button till you reach the screen shown in the picture below. Click on the “Standard App” button to create your app. Once you click the button, a pop card will inform you that your app has been created.
5. Now, as you can see that the Allo app lives alongside other apps on my Mac. It will just behave like a standard app. You can search for it in the Spotlight, find it inside the application folder, and so on. Launch the app as you usually do.
6. When you launch the app, you must log in before using it. Just scan the QR code with your Allo app (just like in the Chrome tutorial). This is how the app looks on my desktop.
Use Allo on PC and Mac
Although the web version of the Allo app is not fully functional (as it works only with Chrome and Android), this is a step in the right direction. Also, until Google launches the desktop apps, you can use the methods mentioned above to create one. It is not much different than using WhatsApp on your PC or Mac, as that, too, feels like a port of its web version. In the comment section below, let us know your thoughts about the Google Allo app. Also, now that it has a web version are you more likely to use it than before? Drop down your thoughts on the subject below.
Conclusion of Allo for PC Download
Google Allo app can be thought of as a virtual unpaid secretary, bidding on your orders and supplying you with results. 😀 Google Allo is an app that competes with leading messengers like Facebook messenger, Whatsapp, etc. The app is launched for both Android and iPhone.
In short, this is an apt app for teenagers concerning message hiding and related features. Download Google Allo PC to the fastest and enjoy messaging. We hope you found our article helpful and that all your doubts regarding Google Allo for PC have been solved. If you have any queries, feel free to ask by commenting in the comment section below.
Author’s Opinion regarding the Google Allo For PC
The Google Allo For PC has compelling features, while considering the security purpose, the priority is very high. No VPN or RDP is required for the said purpose. In some cases, the emulator also works fine, and middleware software also has an essential role in smooth functioning. Therefore, the author recommended the Google Allo For PC for your personal use and has no issue regarding the installation on PC (Windows and Mac). I hope you also use it without any trouble. If you have any issues mentioned in the email, we will provide you with the proper solutions. Please like and share with others. We made a lot of effort while collecting the software for your download.